Using non-printable characters in passwords

From: Birl (sbirl_at_temple.edu)
Date: 08/06/03

    Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:41:09 -0400 (EDT)
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Using cross-platform keyboards (SUN, Windows, Mac), how does one use
    non-printable characters in their passwords?

    Since I work cross-platform, I use only a limited number of characters
    while holding down the CTRL key.

    Whilst searching Google, I came across a SecurityFocus article that said:
    "hold down the ALT key while pressing the 1,2, and 9 keys on the numeric
    keypad"

    Additionally, the Google search I used
          non-printable characters passwords
    came up with more information about recovery and programs to avoid using
    non-printable characters.

    Are there any other combinations? If I recall correctly, a SANS
    instructor mentioned making use of the "Print Screen" key.

    Thanks in advance

     Scott Birl http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/
     Senior Systems Administrator Computer Services Temple University