Windows XP computer spewing packets

robe0341_at_qwest.net
Date: 08/01/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:06:25 -0400

    One of the employees here has a Windows laptop, and in the last day, it has
    sent out over 1,000,000,000,000 packets, and received around 30,000. The
    30,000 is a standard load, but the trillion packets seem to be a bit high.
    I've scanned for spyware and viruses and found nothing. I tried to nMapWin
    from the network, and the computer didn't respond, and when he tried to
    nMapWin his ports, he couldn't find himself, from his own computer. Do you
    have any idea what could be causing this? I'm not to keen on these packets
    flying around my network, and if there are security issues, I'm even less
    keen.

    John roberts

    http://mail2web.com/ .

    • Re: [opensuse] SuseFirewall IPv4 vs IPv6
      ... # network security threats. ... # Opening ports for LAN services in the external zone defeats the ... # this setting only works for packets destined for the local machine. ... # If the protocol is icmp then port is interpreted as icmp type ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Ethernet issue: works one way but not another
      ... packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss ... (This is when connected directly to internet through ... FBSD, I have been working with BSDI at the isp I work for for the last ... As for my network topology, I have an internal network that goes ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Update: UDP 770 Potential Worm
      ... > the network immediately after the 'attack', ... were no packets indicating some form of replication. ... I noticed that the UDP ... > of the UDP datagrams is the IP address of the proxy? ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: IDSIPS that can handle one Gig
      ... especially with 64-byte UDP packets. ... There are plenty of network IPS's ... IDS/IPS devices through use of fragments. ... Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from ...
      (Focus-IDS)
    • Re: iptables and dhcp
      ... > the same physical network segment as the firewall and the remote DHCP ... You used INPUT and not FORWARD chain ... # This target allows packets to be marked in the mangle table ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)