Windows XP computer spewing packets

robe0341_at_qwest.net
Date: 08/01/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:06:25 -0400

    One of the employees here has a Windows laptop, and in the last day, it has
    sent out over 1,000,000,000,000 packets, and received around 30,000. The
    30,000 is a standard load, but the trillion packets seem to be a bit high.
    I've scanned for spyware and viruses and found nothing. I tried to nMapWin
    from the network, and the computer didn't respond, and when he tried to
    nMapWin his ports, he couldn't find himself, from his own computer. Do you
    have any idea what could be causing this? I'm not to keen on these packets
    flying around my network, and if there are security issues, I'm even less
    keen.

    John roberts

    http://mail2web.com/ .