RE: Finding hidden backdoors

From: Michael Silk (michaels_at_phg.com.au)
Date: 08/01/03

    Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:06:53 +1000
    To: "Tim Greer" <chatmaster@charter.net>, "Daniel B. Cid" <danielcid@yahoo.com.br>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    Well backdoors don't always have to have a port open waiting
    for connections, one such different variation could be:
            - backdoor runs every X o'clock, connecting to a website
                    to receive its malicious commands ... hence it will
                    just look like a simply http browsing session and
                    will probably be un-noticed.

            A simple port-search wouldn't pick that up :)

    -- Michael