RE: Ten least secure programs

From: Brad Bemis (Brad.Bemis_at_airborne.com)
Date: 07/09/03

    Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 10:14:43 -0700
    To: N407ER <n407er@myrealbox.com>

    I will refer back to a previous statement made along these same lines.
    Note however that I am not interested in any kind of religious debate over
    who's systems are better or more secure. I maintain a firm belief in "the
    right tool for the right job". While I have not conducted a statistical
    analysis (nor am I interested in doing so), my own personal experiences
    with the continual flood of security vulnerability alerts leads me to
    believe that the statement made below is true. However, I do agree with
    you that it is indeed more realistic to look at individual vendor
    implementations to determine the true nature of a vulnerability statistics
    in relation to Linux distributions.

    - From prior post:
    While it is true that many Linux vulnerabilities stem from applications and
    services that are not considered 'core' to the OS, the fact that these
    applications are provided as part of a distribution, and are often
    installed by default (depending on the installation process) should be
    kept in mind. Also note that many Linux security holes in 'non-core'
    applications or services generally tend to impact or affect a great
    number of the distributions that are out there.

    - - Brad Bemis