Re: Data erasing tool

From: David Vertie (verticalrave_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/04/03

    To: security@rexwire.com, security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:22:33 +0000

    Hey there,

    I know this is a little off-post, but you said you wanted to destroy hdds
    that were not going to be used anymore so...

    I've heard the eraser arguement probably as many times as you've probably
    heard it...there was a thread on extremetech that went on for pages and
    pages..saying that no erasers work..I got so sick of hearing all the
    theory..the only useful information that I ever derived was that..if you
    really wanted to get rid of all the data on the hard disk, consider
    degaussing the hard drives (magnetically) or do what the government does..Do
    a 7x NSA spec overwrite (I think that is the spec, somebody correct me if it
    isn't), and then shred the drive into pieces.

    There are other ways, but these are the only ones that sound reasonable and
    safe sounding to me (safe as in..your data is destroyed for sure)..

    There are plenty more soutions that you will hear from other people on
    this..just hope you make a good selection :)

    David

    >From: security@rexwire.com
    >To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    >Subject: Data erasing tool
    >Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:31:01 -0400
    >
    >We are looking for a tool that will erase all data beyond recovery from a
    >hard drive. We going to get rid of few computers and do not want data to
    >get
    >into anyone's hand. Both freeware and commercial ware are ok. Would prefer
    >solution which is bootable from a cd (OS independent).
    >
    >(Would prefer not getting answers like all erasers work but none work. Been
    >through that with my last posting)
    >
    > SKP

    >Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
    >The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
    >while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.
    >
    >Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
    >about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.
    >
    >Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm

    Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
    The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
    while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

    Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
    about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

    Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm

    • RE: Data erasing tool
      ... I had several people cost justify hard disk encryption based on this. ... degaussing the hard drives or do what the government ... >Subject: Data erasing tool ... >The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Digital Evidence Question - What is an effective Windows hard -disk search tool?
      ... images/history/general/etc information that I have ... Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ... The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Tweaking /proc to avoid fingerprinting
      ... > completely fool nmap to give a false OS like (Play Station, ... > The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: sshd for windows
      ... >> The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ... >> about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: SSH port forwarding not working?
      ... (more secure?). ... SSH port forwarding not working? ... >>Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ... >>The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
      (Security-Basics)