Re: [security] VPN vs changing routes

From: Martin (martin_at_i2net.com)
Date: 06/11/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:52:57 -0700

    On Tuesday 10 June 2003 11:44 am, Keenan Smith wrote:

    My understanding of it is that with a VPN solution you are creating an
    encrypted tunnel over the internet between 2 points. With your solution you
    are routing traffic from a remote LAN to a local LAN with no encryption. I
    guess it depends on what sort of traffic you are going to have, and if you
    would want people to see what it is you are transfering. What i am picturing
    is that you would have a T1 connection for each location to the internet,
    from different providers, and you owning and controlling the programming on
    the routers.

    > All,
    >
    > Given a single user in a single location with a static IP, besides
    > encryption, what would be the difference between using a VPN to connect to
    > the corporate network vs. changing the routing to make the corporate
    > network the first hop?
    >
    > It seems to me that the latter combined with a firewall rule and NAT would
    > function the same way as a VPN without the overhead.
    >
    > So other than encapsulating all data between the network and the VPN
    > client, is there any advantage to using the VPN over a change in routing?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all the good advice.
    >
    > KC Smith
    >
    > ~~~Ensuring that suave and debonair sophistication is always a part of IT

    > Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
    > The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
    > while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.
    >
    > Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
    > about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.
    >
    > Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm
    >-

    Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
    The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
    while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

    Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
    about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

    Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm

    • RE: Encryption through NAT and State table
      ... whereas a Layer3 'stateful' firewall uses socket pairs ... The problem of running an IPSec VPN in your situation would be the key ... connection to our VPN end-point on the client network and instead will get ... Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: VPN vs changing routes
      ... Static Route = no Encryption. ... > Given a single user in a single location with a static IP, ... what would be the difference between using a VPN ... > The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Windows 2000 VPN Set-Up
      ... I currently have a VPN setup between two cities for my company. ... The remote pc is a windows 2000 box that dials up to it's local ISP before ... > I would like to setup a VPN connection using Windows 2000 Server, ... > Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Windows 2000 VPN Set-Up
      ... This is Microsoft's setup guide for RRAS and VPN. ... Subject: Windows 2000 VPN Set-Up ... > Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Windows 2000 VPN Set-Up
      ... Subject: Windows 2000 VPN Set-Up ... I would like to setup a VPN connection using Windows 2000 Server, ... The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
      (Security-Basics)