RE: Share Permissions

From: Chris Berry (compjma_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/10/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:38:34 -0700

    >From: "Manuel Fernandes" <manuelf@hotmail.com>
    >Full access at share level and permissions at the OS level would be the
    >best
    >recommended method to control security. However, if you have a few
    >terabytes
    >of data (on a SAN or NAS) then you should consider creating a local group
    >and apply permissions to the folder. Then on the local group add the
    >desired
    >groups/users from the domain. This will help if you decide to add remove
    >people or groups from the domain and avoid having to re-apply permissions
    >all files, subdirectories, etc which can take you hours!

    Hey, thanks for the good description, a little lightbulb went on over my
    head after I read that last sentence, I always wondered why some people did
    their permissions that way, it seemed overly complicated. I've always added
    the domain groups directly, now I think I see the point of doing it the
    other way. (although my network is small enough that there isn't any point
    since it won't make any speed difference)

    Chris Berry
    compjma@hotmail.com
    Systems Administrator
    JM Associates

    "All I want is a few minutes alone with the source code for the universe and
    a quick recompile."

    Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
    The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
    while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

    Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
    about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

    Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm

    • Re: Share Permissions
      ... end if you are concerned about security, ... rights, causing unintended permissive permissions. ... Virus Protection for Windows by O'Reilly ... > Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: NTFS Permissions (was Share Permissions)
      ... File-level security usually provides more efficient protection than ... NTFS Permissions ... The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic ... and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Share Permissions
      ... Subject: Share Permissions ... The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic ... and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access ... about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: NTFS Permissions (was Share Permissions)
      ... and share permissions are used to allow/restrict access to the share. ... permissions to full access for everybody, and then control access using ... The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic ... about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Share Permissions
      ... Full access at share level and permissions at the OS level would be the best ... recommended method to control security. ... Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ... about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance. ...
      (Security-Basics)