Re: Setting up secure windows xp network

From: Chris Berry (compjma_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/29/03

    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:53:48 -0700

    >From: Danny <drh26@drexel.edu>
    >Windows XP comes with a half decent built in firewall. Go into your
    >network card properties, click on the advanced tab and check the box
    >marked "protect my computer and network my limiting or preventing access
    >to this computer from the internet" By default this blocks *all*
    >connections to the IP that the network card has assigned to it, so you may
    >want to play around with the settings of the firewall, if you don't want
    >anyone to even know your gateway machine is alive on the internet just
    >leave it as the default since it doesn't even reply to a ping.

    Uh yeah, except for the fact that it's completely useless vs. IPv6 packets.

    Chris Berry
    compjma@hotmail.com
    Systems Administrator
    JM Associates

    "All I want is a few minutes alone with the source code for the universe and
    a quick recompile."

    • Re: EPP Cost vs. Coupon Cost?
      ... Jay is right, don't get the, McAfee Security Center with ... VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months. ... i routinely buy the 1.83 for around $800 in your config. ... Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem ...
      (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
    • RE: "limited or no connectivity"
      ... If you are still experiencing this error message even after running the ... Check your network card to make sure its configured correctly and working ... Check and test your firewall. ... Disable your firewall and test the connection. ...
    • Re: Network card configuration advice
      ... the Watguard firewall facilities rather than those with the Cisco router, ... but we want to make use of the Cisco router VPN for connecting remotely ... workstations and server behind the watguard firewall. ... then access the internal network via network card 2 which sits behind the ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Firewall message
      ... Try resetting your router by unplugging it and plugging it back in. ... Try uninstalling your network card and then rebooting and letting windows ... If you are using third party firewall software unisnstall and reinstall the ... > In Network Connections ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Setting up secure windows xp network
      ... Windows XP comes with a half decent built in firewall. ... connections to the IP that the network card has assigned to it, ... want anyone to even know your gateway machine is alive on the internet ...
      (Security-Basics)