Re: web monitoring tool

From: Justin F. Knox (jknox@indexzero.org)
Date: 04/10/03

    From: "Justin F. Knox" <jknox@indexzero.org>
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: 10 Apr 2003 07:11:14 -0400

    Imran,
         if by 'internet use' you mean web browsing, you may want to take a
    look at Websense (http://www.websense.com). Their application allows web
    filtering by category to be applied in a policy form.

    I've implemented this product quite a few times for my customers, it is
    fairly solid when integrated with a Cisco PIX Firewall while running on
    a Windows 2000 Server. (though I do recommend that the PIX be running
    the latest OS rev 6.2(2) as there is a long URL handling bug in older
    revs).

    good luck!

    regards,
    Justin

    On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 08:11, Imran Khan wrote:
    > couldn't find any matter on this one on the security focus website...
    >
    > I am looking for an application to block net utilization at the desktop level.
    >
    > My boss wants to keep a select group's (mostly senior managers) internet use confidential. She wants this to be done locally (desktop application), so no logs are generated on the network admin end.
    >
    > Is this doable?
    >
    > Thanks for all the responses...
    >
    > Imran
    >

    > Need a new email address that people can remember
    > Check out the new EudoraMail at
    > http://www.eudoramail.com

    > Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
    > SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
    > protection.
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
    > Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
    > Stop SPAM before it stops you.

    Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
    SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
    protection.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
    Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
    Stop SPAM before it stops you.

    • MSF antispam info
      ... Spam and fraudulent e-mail messages are major issues for computer users ... Exchange Server, and Microsoft Exchange Hosted Filtering. ... and personalized spam protection while reducing false positives. ...
      (comp.mail.misc)
    • Re: Non English Spam
      ... Subject: Non English Spam ... Also this means that later filtering on the first Received field is ... repeatedly blocks yahoomail, craigslist, and ebay because spammers ... If they want to filter Asian charsets, ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: IP ranges used in North America, Hawaii, and Alaska?
      ... >> If you are trying to cut down on spam, ... > *Filtering* all that crap would cost a lot more. ... > That trick became useless when lists of dynamically-assigned ... The larger the network -- and presumably the more likely employees will ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Non English Spam
      ... Subject: Non English Spam ... encoded in one of the above character sets, ... You know all too well that filtering based on "Received" header ... language specific lists - if their message is not simply ignored. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Bystander shot by a spam filter.
      ... I believe spam and anti-spam measures are security issues -- ... product) are mislead about the probably of filtering the wrong mail. ... Spambouncer doesn't like Inflow. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)