jeckyl hyde network

From: Mada Dulate (madadulate@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/09/03

    From: "Mada Dulate" <madadulate@hotmail.com>
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:42:02 -0400

    Hi all,

    I have a homenet with 9 computers, mostly for playing and learning, but I
    also run my business on it. I believe I keep a pretty tight ship, but
    sometimes while I'm in the process of playing, well, you know...

    It's never been particularly fun for the kids because of the locking down,
    but I can keep the horde back no more.

    I want (need) to set up a couple of computers that are open for the kids to
    use IM, do what they want with the desk and load crap they want to load.
    Basically they need eveything open so they can learn.

    I have some unmanaged hubs, Cisco switches (2900) and flexibility in the
    wiring. Fly in the ointment is a single cable modem and an 8 port Linksys
    router.

    Right now I run 2k and XP with a 4.0 server. No flavours of *nix.

    Oh, yeah, and right now - zero budget.

    I like to solicit advice of configurations for isolating the play side from
    the work side. Can this be done practically and still have access to the
    cloud from all terminals?

    Any help for a relative newbie would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

    Mada

    Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
    SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
    protection.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
    Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
    Stop SPAM before it stops you.

    • Re: Why not virus/worm blocklist?
      ... to do with the connection between virus writers and spammers. ... spam until they were thrown off the site. ... Turning now to virus and worm writers. ... The method of distribution is now thousands of Windows computers, ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Why not virus/worm blocklist?
      ... to do with the connection between virus writers and spammers. ... spam until they were thrown off the site. ... Turning now to virus and worm writers. ... The method of distribution is now thousands of Windows computers, ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Full Tilt Poker & Russ G
      ... He had 8 different phone lines with 8 computers and 8 different IP ... He add associates open Internet poker accounts funded by him but using ... When that site dried up he stated playing $100 ... PLO8 3 deepon FT and was punishing the games until his success stopped ...
      (rec.gambling.poker)
    • Re: spam-filtering policy
      ... At the correct time, he will initiate 50,000 scripts in one botnet, world wide through a controller interface. ... Not only that, there are people that are using these zombies for DDOS attacks, to compromise other systems and also to commit fraud on a large scale. ... Not only can you get one of these node centers to spam, but also you can install trojans that do almost anything, like click on a website in the background. ... The infected computers just simply clicks on a specific ad. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: A suggestion for next months Malicious Software Removal download
      ... How many hundred of the pump-n-dump stock swindle spam ... Most people run Windows the way it comes right out of the ... Windoze computers should not be allowed to access the ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)