Email Encryption Between Servers

From: Al Cooper (alc@2wh.com)
Date: 03/31/03

    From: "Al Cooper" <alc@2wh.com>
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:44:13 -0700

    We are attempting to set up secure e-mail with our partner companies to
    comply with the upcoming HIPAA requirements. I would like to find a way to
    encrypt all e-mail going between our mail server and our partners. We are
    using Exchange. Some of our partners are also using Exchange and some are
    using other SMTP servers.

    Is there a way to automatically force all e-mail between our two e-mail
    servers (either Exchange to Exchange or Exchange to SMTP) to be encrypted
    then decrypted on arrival with no end user intervention? If there are,
    what affect, if any will these encryption methods have on our overall
    network security.

    Thanks for your help,

    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics

    • Re: Exchange and untrusted Administrators
      ... the company I work for has does Hosted Exchange. ... I must admit I know next to nothing about Exchange, ... they can also encrypt "local" mail. ... Then there's the issue of access to physical servers. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: Email Encryption Between Servers
      ... >We are attempting to set up secure e-mail with our partner companies to ... >encrypt all e-mail going between our mail server and our partners. ... Some of our partners are also using Exchange and some are ... >using other SMTP servers. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Email Encryption Between Servers
      ... > Subject: Email Encryption Between Servers ... > encrypt all e-mail going between our mail server and our ... > using Exchange. ... > SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Exchange 2003 RCP over HTTPS
      ... Did you set up the servers as well? ... > "The connection to Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. ... > authentication" for Proxy authentication settings. ... Encrypt or not Encrypt, prompt for password ...