RE: Protect folder data.

From: Langa Kentane (langa@kentane.net)
Date: 03/27/03

    From: "Langa Kentane" <langa@kentane.net>
    To: "'Rick Darsey'" <rdarsey@aims1.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.net>
    Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:23:57 +0200

    Excel spreadsheet passwords can be easily unencrypted. There are
    utilities out there that can do this for you in the click of a button.
    Don't fall for that one.

    Secondly, you must be careful when you deploy EFS. A must is to deploy
    it only if it's domain wide. Otherwise it's not very secure. I read a
    paper on this last year sometime. Can't find the link anymore but I will
    send it to the list when I do. It's also very easy to misconfigure EFS,
    then you think you're secure when you're not.

    Thirdly, why not just buy PGP 8.0. I bought a copy in December for
    US$39. Comes with PGP Disk. Exactly what you need. Otherwise you can
    just get the freeware version, this will only encrypt individual files
    though.

    Lastly, there are a couple of these products out there, some of them are
    free. I used one on 2000/2001. I just can't remember what the name was,
    I think it was ScramDisk. It was free but only works in Win9x. There are
    quite a few others as well, for instance DriveCrypt, BestCrypt,
    StrongDisk.

    With all that said, I'd go with a reputable, tried and trusted product:
    PGPDisk.

    Ciao