RE: Justifying the spend on a vulnerability scanner

From: David Gillett (gillettdavid@fhda.edu)
Date: 03/11/03

    From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid@fhda.edu>
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:56:36 -0800

    > From: JM <jamesmcgeeiom@onetel.net.uk>
    > As the subject says, this is what I have got to do.
    >
    > I could dream up loads of examples of;
    > if we don't detect a code read virus and we get it, then it
    > will knock out our webservers and others until we fix it.
    > if we have open null shares on the network, and unrestricted
    > access to remote registries people can do what they
    > want.......
    >
    > But does anyone have any thoughts to share, on how I can
    > successfully convince my management that the spend on a
    > vulnerability scanner is worthwhile.

      Vulnerability scanners don't have an inherent ROI of their
    own.

      Once you've got commitment to FIX holes before they are
    exploited, then you can easily justify a tool or two to FIND
    the holes that need fixing. But finding the holes is no help
    if nothing will be done about them.

    David Gillett

    • Re: Justifying the spend on a vulnerability scanner
      ... What is the link to Observer? ... Justifying the spend on a vulnerability scanner ... > Once you've got commitment to FIX holes before they are ... > the holes that need fixing. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Tasered for no apparent reason
      ... Old Bill could be given REAL guns then you'd have dead bodies everywhere ... coupled with loads of of the constabulary off sick with holes in their feet ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Re: something between .22 and .30-06
      ... someone who loads and he told me he can make several loads for my. ... very scarce) with a high dollar barrel he says will shoot "holes" at ...
      (rec.hunting)