Exchange Digital ID's vs Thawte ID's?

From: Mark G. Spencer (mspencer@evidentdata.com)
Date: 03/04/03

    From: "Mark G. Spencer" <mspencer@evidentdata.com>
    To: <security-basics@lists.securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:57:50 -0800

    I have recently been asked about authentication and encryption options for
    Microsoft Outlook (and sometimes Exchange) users. The three options as I
    now see them are:

    1.) PGP
    2.) S/MIME Digital ID from Thawte (or other CA's)
    3.) Exchange created Digital ID

    For now I am focusing on the comparison between using a free Digital ID from
    Thawte and an Exchange created ID. Could someone explain the tradeoffs
    involved with going with one or the other? I'm assuming an ID issued from
    Thawte is more useful than one created via the Exchange server because it is
    more "universal" and you can administer ID/Certificate features through
    their website? Also, for users who do not ever connect to the Exchange
    server, the ID from Thawte doesn't rely on Exchange in any way, another
    benefit?

    Thanks for the advice,

    Mark