RE: Suggestions Needed

From: Mike Powell (mpowell@barry.ac.uk)
Date: 02/25/03

    From: "Mike Powell" <mpowell@barry.ac.uk>
    To: "'Justyn'" <dragon@dlance.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:52:59 -0000

    I use Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org), a version of which is free for
    non-profit use and can be up and running from start of installation to
    running and configured in about 6 minutes(!). I recommend version GPL 1.0
    which is currently stable and includes VPN, port forwarding, web
    proxy/cache, intrusion detection, DHCP, DMZ, works with ethernet or cable
    modems and is configurable through a web interface. Brilliant! And no, I
    don't work for the company ;-)

    It's based on Linux kernel 2.2 (unstable version 2.0 is based on kernel 2.4)
    and VPN uses freeswan which is interoperable with many serious firewalls.

    Can't recommend it enough . . .

    HTH

    Mike