links for decoding e-mail headers Re: Email headers

From: Nigel Dyson-Hudson (ndh@InternetSmiths.com)
Date: 02/21/03

    From: Nigel Dyson-Hudson <ndh@InternetSmiths.com>
    To: <marti@videotron.ca>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:04:23 -0500

    try these:

    http://www.expita.com/header1.html is a reference sheet for e-mail, smtp, headers

    http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html is a good tutorial on how to understand e-mail headers.
    http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/16.html has a link to how to get the full header info for any e-mail program.

    nigel dyson-hudson
    "Internet since uucp, lynx and mosaic days"
    "I was Internet when Internet wasn't cool"
    ndh@InternetSmiths.com

    Wizards are never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor are they early. They arrive precisely when they mean to. - Gandalf

    On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:32:34 -0500, Marty wrote:
    >Hi group,
    >
    >Could someone explain how to decipher Email header? How can we know
    >the real sender of spam or virus email?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Marty

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Email headers
      ... which explains the headers and checks them is Spam ... Matti ... > Could someone explain how to decipher Email header? ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: No IP address logging on internal email.
      ... The headers you describe are SMTP ... the same server MAPI doesn't add anything to the SMTP header. ... "Send-As" permission is sending-as these users, so check mailbox rights. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange2000.transport)
    • Re: Strange SPAM with no tracks...!?
      ... the destination domain generates a NDR for the recipient in your domain whose email address was spoofed in headers. ... If the destination domain did a SenderID check and you had SPF records published, it would have been easy to determine that the sending host is not authorized to send for your domain and this sort of thing can be avoided. ... For assistance, contact your system administrator. ... Searching for co.sutter.ca.us in the Exchange SMTP logs gives me no hits at all. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: Server.sendmail with no "to_addrs" parameter.
      ... solely in the CC and/or BCC fields - both of which are possible through ... headers - rfc2822 has the minimum number listed as 0 ... can't get mail delivered via SMTP without a RCPT TO command at SMTP ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: Can anyone explain Bayesian filtering/calculations?
      ... like all-caps "To", "From", etc. headers. ... like messages inserted by the SMTP ... trying to make it as good as a maintained spam blocker. ... lookups to find the target's mail server, ...
      (comp.programming)