Re: Securing a web server through reverse proxy?

From: Scott Liebergen (scott@newlug.org)
Date: 02/21/03

    Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:19:24 -0600 (CST)
    From: "Scott Liebergen" <scott@newlug.org>
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    > mod_proxy is very powerful , but when it comes to security I wouldn't
    > use it use it to protect another server as it had some problems in the
    > past .

    In addition to mod_proxy, you can also use mod_rewrite to lock down what
    can be requested and what can't. Our developers had content directories
    scattered all over the place on the backend IIS servers. We used apache as
    a reverse proxy on a Linux server with mod_rewrite to serve as a security
    mechanism to only allow legit requests. This is pretty much what that tool
    released by MS did a year or two ago for IIS servers. We had a nice
    rewrite list built thanks to the wonderful directory placement of our
    development team ;-)

    Cheers,
    Scott

    Relevant Pages

    • Installation of Veritas NetBackup
      ... for managing backups and controls the backup server. ... be handled internal to the development team. ... Most of the Veritas NetBackup installation documentation I can find ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Installation of Veritas NetBackup
      ... > for managing backups and controls the backup server. ... > be handled internal to the development team. ... > the NetBackup client to retrieve the development directories from the ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Connecting to a server from development clients which is connected to server through VPN
      ... We have a development team in a remote location and this development ... team has to connect to the server through VPN and work just as if the ... development team is on the same location as the server. ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
    • Thousands of handles for DLLHOST.EXE!!
      ... our development team has developped some applications, in visual basic.net, ... and in the server the big app. ... some small applications takes 10 or 15 ... We see in the server that the CPU, during the execution, is ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.developer)
    • Servers
      ... We are thinking of installing a server for use by our small development team ... just having a stand alone domain server. ...
      (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)