RE: Question about dmz security

From: David Gillett (gillettdavid@fhda.edu)
Date: 02/18/03

    From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid@fhda.edu>
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:53:39 -0800

      The POINT of a DMZ is that a firewall mediates traffic between one or
    more somewhat-exposed servers and the secured internal network. The
    private-network NIC on this box is bypassing that, and must be removed.

      The firewall rules which limit traffic between the DMZ and the private
    network should not allow servers in the DMZ to initiate connections into
    the private network, and should restrict the protocols by which internal
    hosts are permitted to initiate connections into the DMZ.

    David Gillett