Re: email content monitoring / effectiveness

From: Mel (rockchick@totalise.co.uk)
Date: 02/12/03

    Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:17:52 +0000
    To: laurence_field@yahoo.com, security-basics@securityfocus.com
    From: Mel <rockchick@totalise.co.uk>

    Laurence

    You didn't mention whether you'd prefer open source or commerical. If
    you're willing to pay, Clearswift's Mimesweeper is one of the best content
    filtering products out there. You can configure it to monitor either
    certain users, or use wildcards to monitor everyone, and I think you can
    also get it to send a copy of the email to the administrator if the email
    contains certain key words. The website is www.mimesweeper.com

    Mel

    At 09:50 PM 2/11/2003 -0800, laurence field wrote:
    >I would like to get feedback on the quality/usefulness
    >of email content monitoring tools available on the
    >market.
    >
    >Our problem: We need to identify users and monitor
    >email content (scary) as some staff are sending
    >"gossip" to the press about our public internet system
    >reliability, pending IPO gossip / info etc. which then
    >escalates to professional bodies / governments whom in
    >turn start formal investigations - all over an
    >email!!! (we are a financial company).
    >
    >Our mail systems are predominately MS Exchange 2000.
    >We are reviewing some software solutions at the moment
    >to increase our logging of what email is going
    >out/content etc. The volume of email is stagering and
    >should the "bad" users be technically savvy, there
    >seems to be no real way of catching said users who
    >breach our security policy. Additionaly, how well do
    >these systems work by catching key words?
    >
    >I recently heard of a new technology that seems
    >smarter than just key word searches but havent been
    >able to track it down to-date.
    >
    >If anybody could recommend any solutions/feedback on
    >this issue it would be very helpful to us.
    >
    >Many thanks
    >
    >Laurence

    >Yahoo! Shopping - Send Flowers for Valentine's Day
    >http://shopping.yahoo.com

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: The wheels have come off
      ... computer application that looks for key words and phrases, ... I never said protest. ... of course they monitor ngs. ... gubbinsment against peaceable democratic rallies, yes, rallies, then they're ...
      (uk.rec.waterways)
    • Re: buying a multitrack for live use
      ... mix it down to mono in the amplifier management ... subsystem. ... You know, Laurence. ... Into the drummer's monitor. ...
      (rec.audio.pro)