Re: VPN using Redhat Linux 8.0

From: Alejandro Flores (aflores@ipad.com.br)
Date: 02/06/03

    From: Alejandro Flores <aflores@ipad.com.br>
    To: Aman Raheja <amannetsec@hotmail.com>
    Date: 06 Feb 2003 08:56:28 -0200

            Hello Aman,

            You can use one of the following:
            1 - Freeswan (IPSEC)

            You can download IPsec at http://www.freeswan.org/. There's RPMs for
    RedHat 8.0, and you'll not need to rebuild your kernel.

            2 - CIPE

            CIPE comes with Redhat linux. It's very easy to configure.
            http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Cipe+Masq.html
            (Howto on CIPE with Masquerade).
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/security-guide/s1-vpn-cipe.html
            (RedHat Security Guide)

            3 - PPTP

            Point to point tunneled protocol. You can Install a PPTP server on your
    linux, and from home you can create a new DialUp connection using VPN
    Adapter (with microsoft windows), or just download a PPTP client for
    linux.

            4 - SSH

            Yes, you can use your SSH connection to create a VPN solution.
            http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/mini/ppp-ssh/index.html

    Regards,
    Alejandro

    > Hi All
    > Here's the scenario:
    > I have a LAN at office (Win XP Prof, Slackware Linux, Redhat Linux 8.0)
    > connected to the outside world with a router.
    > RH Linux server has samba installed and configured.
    > I want to set up a VPN so that I can access the databse and files on my
    > office LAN from home. I have RH Linux at home too.
    >
    > Suggestions and tips are welcome.
    > Also, it'll help is anyone points out some good website links and books for
    > the same.
    >
    > Thanks alot
    > Aman

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
      ... people who "support" Linux really only install stock distros. ... Debian is simply not drama queen. ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... U2, RedHat and SuSE: ...
      (comp.databases.pick)
    • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
      ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... asked to work with an MV system over any distro except RedHat. ... And the only Linux distro mentioned on the QM download page is RedHat: ... hardware to test my clients' MondoRescue DVD's. ...
      (comp.databases.pick)
    • Re: RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?
      ... When I purchased Redhat 7.3 they sent me an email 2 weeks after I ... installer screen was offset on all of them. ... expect more from a "commercial" Linux distribution. ... I hope one day a Linux distro is actually that, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: New laptop/Linux
      ... confused with all the Linux versions to choose from. ... "Community" version of RedHat. ... It is very stable and you pay to get license and support. ... the source of their distro, and this is used by others to build distros ...
      (comp.os.linux.portable)