Re: Monitoring office web use

From: Michael Conroy (mconroy@doh.health.nsw.gov.au)
Date: 01/30/03

    Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:12:24 +1100
    From: Michael Conroy <mconroy@doh.health.nsw.gov.au>
    To: sdogru@blue-tec.net, security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Hi Sedat,

    I guess it depends on exactly how you're providing the Internet access to your users, but if you're using Squid, then Squidalyser ( http://ababa.org/ ) may do the job. It scans the Squid log files and then puts the results into a mySQL database. There's quite a lot of search functionality and that sort of gear.

    I'm not entirely sure whether it provides the DNS names of the hosts, but I'm sure there's an option in either Squid itself or possibly Squidalyser that allows you to resolve the IP addresses it collects.

    Cheers,
    Mick Conroy.

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Beating the spam filter ...
      ... A name that is not a machine's internal identity is more easily moved to refer to another machine, and that capability seems to be driving a lot of the interesting novelty in IT these days. ... You use names to refer to services where as I use names to refer to hosts and then use CNAMEs to refer service names to hosts. ... I think using the RFC-I lists for spam control is properly career-limiting for a mail admin, but people do use them, and the "bogus MX" list is probably the least problematic. ... That name carries a complex meaning to me and about a dozen other people, and it is in DNS from the viewpoint of tens of thousands of other machines. ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)
    • Re: Cant see out to .co.uk from inside my .local domain (forward l
      ... and you do need to find out where the problem is in your DNS. ... just add another entry in your hosts file referencing ... network only from the server which I changed the hosts file for. ... us to resolve the issue with DNS. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems
      ... Changed nsswitch.conf for hosts values. ... hosts: nis dns files ... Sep 2 09:59:57 spock ypbind: bound to NIS server odin. ... Can't get map list for domain. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems
      ... Changed nsswitch.conf for hosts values. ... hosts: nis dns files ... Sep 2 09:59:57 spock ypbind: bound to NIS server odin. ... Can't get map list for domain. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: DNS and RRAS (revisited)
      ... >> without the hosts file entries the queries go out and if ... >> internal DNS server can respond the query fails and the ... I installed BIND DNS on a XP laptop, then pulled a secondary zone from the ... regardless of whether you are connected to the internet or not. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)