Re: syslog server- how to on Linux

From: easy (easy@unacs.bg)
Date: 12/17/02

    From: "easy" <easy@unacs.bg>
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:18:11 +0200

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "netsec novice" <netsec9@hotmail.com>
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
    Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 10:34 PM
    Subject: syslog server- how to on Linux

    > I'm hoping I don't generate flames because this is somewhat off-topic but
    > have been googling for a while and I'm not getting the answer I'm looking
    > for. I need information on how I view or set up syslog on a Linux
    platform
    > (specifically SuSE 8.1) I am BRAND new to Linux and purchased SuSE to
    force
    > myself to learn. My first project is to set it up as a syslog security
    > server. Yes - I have also done man syslog. I am familiar with syslog
    > servers (Kiwi) in the windows environment. What is the method to viewing
    > logs on Linux? Typing syslogd at the command line tells me that syslogd
    is
    > already running but I don't see it listening as a service when I type
    > netstat -an. Any help is appreciated... a direction for information if
    you
    > just think I'm an idiot is fine too.
    > thanks

    Hi man,
    It's not so difficult to find information for the syslog daemon and for any
    program in *nix systems. All you have to do is to read the manual!

    $ man syslogd

    If you want to search the manual pages with a keyword add a '-k' option.
    Read the manual of the 'man' command ('man man') :)

    Best regards,
    Kiril Tsvetkov, BG.

    Relevant Pages

    • RE: Recent Increase in Port 139 Activity
      ... Our environment is mixed Windows and Unix - Linux and AIX. ... I collect syslog from my firewalls on Windows boxes ... product that is quite reasonably priced (about $50 per server in small ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: Finding all cron jobs...
      ... Is there not some central syslog on a linux system ... and does not capture processes that do not log. ... accounting /is/ enabled, frequent regular purging of accounting data is ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Vor- und Nachteile von systemd
      ... das z.B. bei Oracle mit deren Datenbank doch auch so ähnlich gehandhabt. ... Und als monolithischer Klotz ist linux mit Sicherheit auch nicht gedacht ... (Syslog als Datenbank). ... angesprochene "Distributionszirkus" beschnitten, ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • RE: syslog server- how to on Linux
      ... Check out your syslogd.conf to see where your log files ... This command will tail this file to the screen as it is updated. ... syslog server- how to on Linux ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: LINUX SYSLOG SERVER
      ... I do not need help to setup the syslog on the router just on the Linux ... syslog messages to a Linux Server. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)