Re: syslog server- how to on Linux

From: Ivan Coric (ivan.coric@workcoverqld.com.au)
Date: 12/16/02

    Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:34:51 +1000
    From: "Ivan Coric" <ivan.coric@workcoverqld.com.au>
    To: <netsec9@hotmail.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    Hi,

    show entries at the end of the file
    # tail /var/log/messages

    show entries at the beginning of the file
    # head /var/log/messages

    use the -n switch to set the number of lines to view

    to scroll through the whole file
    # more /var/log/messages

    to view the file in real time
    # tail -f /var/log/messages

    cheers

    Ivan Coric
    IT Security Officer
    Information Technology
    WorkCover Queensland
    Ph: (07) 30066414 Fax: (07) 30066424
    Email: ivan.coric@workcoverqld.com.au

    >>> "netsec novice" <netsec9@hotmail.com> 12/14/02 06:34am >>>
    I'm hoping I don't generate flames because this is somewhat off-topic but I have been googling for a while and I'm not getting the answer I'm looking for. I need information on how I view or set up syslog on a Linux platform
    (specifically SuSE 8.1) I am BRAND new to Linux and purchased SuSE to force
    myself to learn. My first project is to set it up as a syslog security
    server. Yes - I have also done man syslog. I am familiar with syslog
    servers (Kiwi) in the windows environment. What is the method to viewing logs on Linux? Typing syslogd at the command line tells me that syslogd is
    already running but I don't see it listening as a service when I type
    netstat -an. Any help is appreciated... a direction for information if you just think I'm an idiot is fine too.
    thanks

    Messages included in this e-mail and any of its attachments are those
    of the author unless specifically stated to represent WorkCover Queensland.
    The contents of this message are to be used for the intended purpose only
    and are to be kept confidential at all times. This message may contain
    privileged information directed only to the intended addressee/s.
    Accidental receipt of this information should be deleted promptly
    and the sender notified.
    This e-mail has been scanned by Sophos for known viruses.
    However, no warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.