Re: File Monitoring Program

From: Peter Howard (pchoward@yahoo.com)
Date: 12/14/02

    Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:54:41 -0800 (PST)
    From: Peter Howard <pchoward@yahoo.com>
    To: H C <keydet89@yahoo.com>, security-basics@securityfocus.com

    Filemon lets you monitor specific folders through its filtering component

    --- H C <keydet89@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > Basically, I would like to know if anyone knows of a
    > program
    > > that can monitor file activity, from an .exe down to
    > the .dll
    > > that will show the time/date of activity and the
    > > username/login name of the person attempting to
    > access the
    > > file. If it could be configured to only monitor a
    > certain
    > > drive or even a certain folder that would be great.
    >
    > For all those who recommended FileMon from
    > SysInternals...
    >
    > It's definitely a good suggestion, BUT the OP
    > specifically asked for a couple of things, in
    > particular the username/login of whomever is accessing
    > the file, and the ability to configure the tool to
    > monitor ONLY a particular drive or folder.
    >
    > Filemon will monitor a drive, but if someone knows how
    > to get it to monitor a folder, please post that.
    > Also, if someone knows how to get username info,
    > please post that as well. Otherwise, this tool, as
    > useful as it is, does NOT, in fact, perform the
    > requested functions.

    > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: workaround for FCN/directory delete bug
      ... complicated because the browser requests chunks of the file with separate ... PropertyInfo p = ... object monitor = f.GetValue; ... files in the app_data folder are not served ...
    • Re: Cannot install new printer drivers
      ... Permissions in the folder you asked about are covered in the ... I downloaded and ran Process Monitor (which supersedes File Monitor and ... The built-in Administrator account may behave differently than one you added ... Registry Monitor from Sysinternals to produce a log of file or registry ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • Re: File Monitoring Program
      ... >> that can monitor file activity, ... >> drive or even a certain folder that would be great. ... >particular the username/login of whomever is accessing ... >Do you Yahoo!? ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: MS Fax basic send failure
      ... There's no tools>options on the fax console. ... entry pending in the fax console's outbox folder. ... Select tools, and choose fax monitor. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • Re: several media player problems or questions
      ... monitor my media folder, which is where the books download to. ... player doesn't monitor that folder. ... track ones from however many discs there are, and then all track 2's, etc. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)