syslog server- how to on Linux

From: netsec novice (netsec9@hotmail.com)
Date: 12/13/02

    From: "netsec novice" <netsec9@hotmail.com>
    To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:34:43 +0000

    I'm hoping I don't generate flames because this is somewhat off-topic but I
    have been googling for a while and I'm not getting the answer I'm looking
    for. I need information on how I view or set up syslog on a Linux platform
    (specifically SuSE 8.1) I am BRAND new to Linux and purchased SuSE to force
    myself to learn. My first project is to set it up as a syslog security
    server. Yes - I have also done man syslog. I am familiar with syslog
    servers (Kiwi) in the windows environment. What is the method to viewing
    logs on Linux? Typing syslogd at the command line tells me that syslogd is
    already running but I don't see it listening as a service when I type
    netstat -an. Any help is appreciated... a direction for information if you
    just think I'm an idiot is fine too.
    thanks

    • RE: Recent Increase in Port 139 Activity
      ... Our environment is mixed Windows and Unix - Linux and AIX. ... I collect syslog from my firewalls on Windows boxes ... product that is quite reasonably priced (about $50 per server in small ...
      (Incidents)
    • Re: Finding all cron jobs...
      ... Is there not some central syslog on a linux system ... and does not capture processes that do not log. ... accounting /is/ enabled, frequent regular purging of accounting data is ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Vor- und Nachteile von systemd
      ... das z.B. bei Oracle mit deren Datenbank doch auch so ähnlich gehandhabt. ... Und als monolithischer Klotz ist linux mit Sicherheit auch nicht gedacht ... (Syslog als Datenbank). ... angesprochene "Distributionszirkus" beschnitten, ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • Re: LINUX SYSLOG SERVER
      ... I do not need help to setup the syslog on the router just on the Linux ... syslog messages to a Linux Server. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • RE: syslog server- how to on Linux
      ... There are several interfaces that will let you view the system logs, ... syslog server- how to on Linux ... server. ...
      (Security-Basics)