Re: WLAN Sniffer

From: Talisker (offthecuff@lineone.net)
Date: 12/10/02

    From: "Talisker" <offthecuff@lineone.net>
    To: "Gene" <gyoo@attbi.com>, "James McGee" <james__mcgee@hotmail.com>
    Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:00:26 -0000

    Hi
    With regard to a wireless sniffer, I'd have to concur with HC (Keydet),
    you'd have to go a long way to beat ethereal, not only does it run on *nix
    and w32 but it has more protocol savvy than many of it's commercial
    counterparts. By that I mean there are literally thousands of individuals
    across the Internet submitting decoders for the huge variety of different
    protocols they encounter.

    One example of this is a commercial tool spotted 2 RIP packets with the same
    source and destination. Ethereal identified that the first was RIPv1 and
    the 2nd was RIPv2. This provided one extra piece of evidence that what I
    was seeing was in fact a scan. This example wasn't wireless.

    take care
    -andy
    Taliskers Network Security Tools
    http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk