RE: XP admin shares

From: Anthony, Shayla (shayla@exchange.cis.pitt.edu)
Date: 12/09/02

    Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:28:46 -0500
    From: "Anthony, Shayla" <shayla@exchange.cis.pitt.edu>
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

    To permanently disable default administrative shares:

    1. Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Shared Folders / Shares.
    2. Right-click the administrative share you wish to disable and press Stop sharing.
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

    Double click on AutoShareServer and set it to 0 to disable it for a server.
    Double click on AutoShareWks and set it to 0 to disable it for a workstation.
    If the entries are not present, Add Value of type REG_DWORD. The Range is 0 (disable) or 1 (enable - the default).

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: The Mystery Part IV
      ... Overview of problems that may occur when administrative shares are missing ... Examine the AutoShareServer and AutoShareWks registry values to make sure ... When we run "net share" on the server, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: remote shutdown
      ... My administrative shares are still showing. ... AutoShareServer is set to 0, I reboot and they still are getting created. ... do you know where to change the Cached Logon Credentials? ... To change the value of Shutdown without logon, ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Mapped Network Drives Problem
      ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... "Jim QCID" wrote in message ... There was no AutoShareServer so I created it and set the value to 1 and ... I thought that administrative shares could not be>> deleted. ...
    • Re: Default Admin-Shares lassen sich nicht mehr loeschen
      ... macht aber im Endeffekt auch nichts anderes als die korrekten Registry Werte zu setzen. ... PART "Check to disable the administrative shares on Servers" Checkbox ... VALUENAME "AutoShareServer" ... END POLICY;Enable or disable the administrative shares in Windows ...
      (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.networking)
    • Re: how can I delete the share name c$
      ... Set the value of AutoShareServer to 0 ... There is no downside in disabling the administrative shares. ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.general)