Re: Protect folder data.

From: Meritt James (meritt_james@bah.com)
Date: 12/02/02

    Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:10:52 -0500
    From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james@bah.com>
    To: Margles Singleton <MarglesSingleton@firsthealth.com>

    As the sole protection. Think "defense in depth".

    Jim

    Margles Singleton wrote:

    > I wouldn't advise excel password protection - that's very easy to break
    > - and it's not encryption, it's just password protection.
    >
    > mas

    > What format is the data in? Excel will let you password protect a
    > workbook.
    >
    > You can also turn on encryption in Windows 2000. You have to be
    > running
    > NTFS. If you setup encryption on your system, and password protect the
    > Admin
    > user, the the only way someone can open the file is to set them up
    > with
    > rights to the file, or as a Encrypted File Recovery Agent on your
    > local
    > system. Depending on your network security, this may work. If the
    > Network
    > Admin has set the domain to override local policies, he may still have
    > access to it. If this is not the case, then he would have to have
    > Administrative rights to your system.
    >
    > Rick

    James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
    Booz | Allen | Hamilton
    phone: (410) 684-6566

    Relevant Pages

    • RE: Protect folder data.
      ... I wouldn't advise excel password protection - that's very easy to break ... You can also turn on encryption in Windows 2000. ... Subject: Protect folder data. ... Checked by AVG anti-virus system. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Protect folder data.
      ... Subject: Protect folder data. ... You can also turn on encryption in Windows 2000. ... Incoming mail has been scanned for viruses and is certified Virus Free. ... Checked by AVG anti-virus system. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Protect folder data.
      ... If you setup encryption on your system, and password protect the Admin ... Subject: Protect folder data. ... Checked by AVG anti-virus system. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Protect folder data.
      ... Subject: Protect folder data. ... You can also turn on encryption in Windows 2000. ... Checked by AVG anti-virus system. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Word docx - was password protected - cannot open
      ... Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org ... password protection. ... and perhaps the word 'encryption' was used. ...
      (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)