RE: Protect folder data.

From: Margles Singleton (MarglesSingleton@firsthealth.com)
Date: 11/26/02

    Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:33:34 -0600
    From: "Margles Singleton" <MarglesSingleton@firsthealth.com>
    To: <security-basics@securityfocus.net>

    I wouldn't advise excel password protection - that's very easy to break
    - and it's not encryption, it's just password protection.

    mas

    >>> "Rick Darsey" <rdarsey@aims1.com> 11/26/02 08:03AM >>>
    What format is the data in? Excel will let you password protect a
    workbook.

    You can also turn on encryption in Windows 2000. You have to be
    running
    NTFS. If you setup encryption on your system, and password protect the
    Admin
    user, the the only way someone can open the file is to set them up
    with
    rights to the file, or as a Encrypted File Recovery Agent on your
    local
    system. Depending on your network security, this may work. If the
    Network
    Admin has set the domain to override local policies, he may still have
    access to it. If this is not the case, then he would have to have
    Administrative rights to your system.

    Rick