RE: RE: Wireless security and VPN

From: Robinson, Sonja (SRobinson@HIPUSA.com)
Date: 11/26/02

    From: "Robinson, Sonja" <SRobinson@HIPUSA.com>
    To: "'peter.ve@pandora.be'" <peter.ve@pandora.be>, 'Chris Martin' <chris.martin@smartech.com.au>, 'Brian Bettger' <brianb@diversint.com>
    Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:17:07 -0500

    Personally, I have not tested PEAP so I can not say. I am currently
    researching the issue. There are some other potential products available
    (all in the same box), such a blue socket. Each has their advantages and
    disadvantages. I would still wait to see the new products coming out in
    1Q03, Wi-FIProtected Access (WPA), but if you can't wait, IPSEC is good for
    VPN. Some of the current products need to be evaluated against your
    current and future systems to ensure interoperability. Standardisation is
    also a factor. WPA will use higher encryption, dynamic keys and will be
    interoperable and standardised. Of course, no heavy testing has been done
    on WPA yet either.

    Here is a brief excerpt of some pros and cons of one product.

    Pros:

    * You can have hot gateways and they are intelligent. All of them
    can talk to each other and pass the info correctly among them so they get a
    plus for maintenance.

    * Price discounts are available

    * Gateways can be simulaneously monitored from browser base console

    * Compatibility - very good

    * Future - good

    * ROI - very good

    * Service - good (not great, see con)

    * Overall 4*

    * Works with Radius, LDAP and NTLA so entering users can be easier,
    can be seemless authentication

    * Supports 802.11a, 802.11b and bluetooth (potential expandability
    and future growth)

    * IF Ipsec is institued correctly (key there) almost impossible to
    crack

    * Can do own Ipsec VPN or can do Proxy VPN

    *

    Cons:

    * Penalty for performace when bandwidth exceeds 30mbps

    * Tech Support is M-F 9-5, no 24x7 nor weekends

    * All WAP's must have direct line into gateway or through a
    hub/switch that must be connected exclusively to the bridge. Could require
    extra cabling.

    * Windows won't allow to IPSec's runnging at once so you can have
    conenctivity issues

    o Have 2 sep h/w setups on boot "I am away from the office" and "I am
    in the office" bootups

    o OR Write a VB script so that when users want to use the secondary
    IPSec it is seemless and disables the first but re-enables the first after
    shutting down secondary program

      ... It is imperative that you use VPN to secure any ... >that will be much more secure for wireless however, a GOOD VPN set up will ... Most Cisco wireless gear has this WEP type (called ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Is Dynamic WEP Secure Enough?
      ... forget WEP - get a good ipsec based vpn system, ... I would still use WEP though, would keep some folks off this wireless ... So segment your wireless network outside of your ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: RE: Wireless security and VPN
      ... IPSec alone is enough to secure all your network data. ... Subject: Wireless security and VPN ... authorized to receive the communication. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Wireless Pent-Test
      ... If this is for home use have them turn WEP and MAC Address filtering on. ... You need to secure access to your protected network. ... So your VPN is ... his wireless network packets to make sure it is 128 bit encryption... ...
      (Pen-Test)
    • RE: Wireless security and VPN
      ... WEP is NOT secure. ... It is imperative that you use VPN to secure any ... that will be much more secure for wireless however, a GOOD VPN set up will ...
      (Security-Basics)