Wireless security and VPN

From: Brian Bettger (brianb@diversint.com)
Date: 11/14/02

From: "Brian Bettger" <brianb@diversint.com>
To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:12:02 -0800

Hello,

I am searching for a product that incorporates a Wireless Access Point
AND VPN authentication to use for nearly all of our wireless rollouts.
As you know SSID and WEP are possibly not enough to keep people out of
networks. An integrated VPN authentication after SSID and WEP, BUT
before network authentication would be REALLY nice. In other words, I
turn on my laptop, PDA or workstation, it establishes the primary
connection through the use of SSID and WEP, then stops, leaving port
1723 open, dropping all other traffic or attack attempts until I make a
secure VPN connection. As soon as I establish the VPN connection I am
then prompted (or not) with my NT, Novell, or whatever login.

The thought is, a war driver could possibly crack WEP, access to the WAP
but is then faced with needing to establish a VPN connection even before
he can gain information about the network. The war driver / cracker
could only scan and see port 1723.

Please pass this on as a request for development if possible. Another
point is that it would be nice to have this bundled into one appliance.
Additionally pass this on to anyone else you feel may help.

Yes, I have looked into Proxim's solution, but it is over priced for my
clients (SOHO to medium size business, 25-100 users) and requires two
appliances, the WAP and then the VPN appliance.

Brian Bettger
Systems Engineer
Diversint, Inc.
Diversified Internet Services Group

360-404-2044

www.diversint.com

Technology is Business

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Wireless security and VPN
    ... Most Cisco wireless gear has this WEP type (called ... Subject: Wireless security and VPN ... AND VPN authentication to use for nearly all of our wireless rollouts. ... As soon as I establish the VPN connection I am ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Wireless security and VPN
    ... We always set the client default route through the VPN. ... this is the ONLY secure way to deploy wireless. ... An integrated VPN authentication after SSID and WEP, ... As soon as I establish the VPN connection I am ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: VPN Connection Problem
    ... since you cannot make a VPN connection over your ... 825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server ... Encapsulation (GRE) protocol traffic. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: SBS Standard VPN Setup using L2TP
    ... Is there a exception in one of the GPOs that say not to run them over a VPN. ... THe SBSpackage only deploys a PPTP VPN connection but does not add a entry ... > Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... > This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: VPN via Wireless Broadband
    ... I don't know how timing-sensitive VPN connections are. ... Browsing to the User shared folder from the client doesn't work. ... shares on the server and SYSVOL is there and one can use Windows ... How to configure a VPN connection to your corporate network in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)