Re: Interesting One

From: John Dow (jmd@nelefa.org)
Date: 10/30/02

From: John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org>
To: John Orr <JOrr@austinbank.com>
Date: 30 Oct 2002 08:18:10 +0000

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 18:15, John Orr wrote:
> Personally, I think he is full of... hot air.
>
> Bits are either "on" or "off", "1" or "0". If you change that pattern (i.e. write over the same data area with a different sequence of bits), then the previous state of that field would not be determinable. Granted, there may be some residual magnetic field left on a particular area that is now "0" that had been "1", but the converse would not be true. There would be no residual field to read on an area that is now "1" that had been "0".

Apologies if I'm talking out of my nether regions, but (looking at it
superficicially) I wouldn't have thought that storing/reading a magnetic
impulse would be quite as clear cut as zeroes and ones. I'd have thought
that some fuzzy interpretation was required ie, x to y is the normal
range taken to represent a zero, a to b to represent a one. In this
case, it's entirely possible that, for a known drive with known
parameters, it *may* be possible to say "yes, that's a one but it's
slightly higher than normal so it may have been a one previously as
well".

This is, of course, nothing more than utter speculation from someone who
knows nothing about it ;-)

John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org>
http://www.nelefa.org
33 Shines

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows app or ASP.NET ?
    ... interpret the HTML standards. ... Now you are just grasping for air. ... This is quite possibly the most nonsensical and (apologies to the rest of the group) idiotic criticism leveled at another poster I have seen written in this group to date. ...
  • afk
    ... I shall be mostly absent from uk.r.c for the next couple of weeks. ... Apologies for all the interesting discussions I'm leaving in the air. ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: EPL 10/11 November 2012 (R)
    ... EPL 10/11 November 2012 ... > Apologies to you too, although it has been misinterpreted by three ... > people so far and taken out of context, it was meant in the sense I ... He should apologise every day of his sorry life for breathing our air. ...
    (rec.sport.soccer)
  • Re: Most concise syntax to extract values?
    ... Apologies for the typo: ... Do you think that's air you're breathing? ...
    (comp.unix.shell)