RE: Firewall options- which way to go

From: Burton M. Strauss III (
Date: 10/15/02

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <>
To: <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:19:04 -0500

If all you want it to be, you're better off with a firewall-specific

Two reasons...

1) the developers tend to focus on the firewall aspects, it's not an add-on
among 1000s of packages and services

2) (very important, IMHO) it's a perfect defense against overloading the
"available" Linux box with a lot of other services that might weaken it's

     "Nope, sorry, can't do, it only works as a firewall.
      However, if you want a xxxx server, I'll be happy to
      build another Linux box and set it up in the (LAN | DMZ)
      for you"

I prefer the iptables approach - there are a lot more things you can do
(such as rate limiting, etc.)

And, re your Q3, if it's a purpose oriented distro, then you typically get
much better how to docs.