RE: RE: Telnet/SSL v SSH

From: Vachon, Scott (Scott.Vachon@Paymentech.com)
Date: 09/24/02

From: "Vachon, Scott" <Scott.Vachon@Paymentech.com>
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:19:48 -0500

>Just one example: can I code a client/server applications and encrypt and
>do authentication with SSL/SSH tunneling ? I've no idea, not from the
>things I've read about those two. Yeah, SSH is a secure login and shell
>for a remote system. That I know. It's more than that, isn't it ??
>I'm sorry if you're impatient about my post, but I don't recall people
answering
>me and me being a nag about it all over again.. Maybe it's just my memory,
>but who knows..

One, Don't be sorry about your post. You posted is to the Basics list which
is an appropriate forum for the question posed. The respondent assumes that
you did not perform any research prior to posting the question. In the
future, you should note what research you have done prior to posting. That
should lessen the flames.

I'll take a quick stab at your question based on a very quick Google search.
First, SSH and SSL are apples and oranges.

SSL: Short for Secure Sockets Layer, a protocol developed by Netscape for
transmitting private documents via the Internet. SSL works by using a public
key to encrypt data that's transferred over the SSL connection. Both
Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer support SSL, and many Web sites use
the protocol to obtain confidential user information, such as credit card
numbers. By convention, URLs that require an SSL connection start with
https: instead of http:. This comes from :
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SSL.html There is also TLS, which is a
successor to SSL

SSH: SSH Secure Shell is the de facto standard for remote logins, with
millions of users in 80 countries. It solves the most important security
problem on the Internet: hackers stealing passwords. Typical applications
include secure use of networked applications, remote system administration,
automated file transfers, and access to corporate resources over the
Internet. This comes from the : http://www.ssh.com/products/ssh/ . Is SSH
more than this ? yes, see : http://www.tigerlair.com/ssh/faq/ssh-faq.html .

So I humbly submit, you may use ssh to connect to a remote systems instead
of using telnet which is unsecured. You may then wish to design a website
which uses SSL to transmit credit card numbers or confidential data, from a
web server via a web browser. I'm sure my explanation is not perfect but I
think the information provided may help you a bit.

~S~

Disclaimer: My own two cents.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How secure is SSH ?
    ... I've heard excellent things about SSH, ... Hmmmm, how secure is anything? ... To quote from the SSL Faq: ... Windows XP is the "colouring in book" of Operating Systems. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How secure is SSH ?
    ... I've heard excellent things about SSH, ... Hmmmm, how secure is anything? ... To quote from the SSL Faq: ... Windows XP is the "colouring in book" of Operating Systems. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: HOW: SSL/SSH connection ??
    ... SSH uses SSL to secure/encrypt data. ... There is no quick and easy way to programmatically implement secure ... communication in Windows. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc)
  • Re: Relationship SSH <-> VPN ??
    ... I'm not sure whether you're most probably referring to *SSL* vs. VPN, ... and not SSH. ... A Virtual Private Network, VPN, is a secure "network" built on top of ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Relationship SSH <-> VPN ??
    ... I'm not sure whether you're most probably referring to *SSL* vs. VPN, ... and not SSH. ... A Virtual Private Network, VPN, is a secure "network" built on top of ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)