IE 6.0 SP1 and Alexa Ad-ware

From: Doc Farmer (Doc.Farmer@qatarbank.com)
Date: 09/10/02

From: "Doc Farmer" <Doc.Farmer@qatarbank.com>
To: <security-basics@security-focus.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:48:45 +0300

Greetings!

I've downloaded the new service pack (SP1) for Internet Explorer 6.0 on 2
machines. After the restart, my Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch software
(www.lavasoft.nu and/or www.lavasoftusa.com) both noted the addition of
ad-ware for something called ALEXA. There was one instance in the registry,
and the addition of a new file (hbe[1].js) in a temporary file.

Has anyone else run into this situation? And why would Microsoft include
ad-ware or spy-ware in a service pack release?

Many thanks.

Doc Farmer
Senior Manager
Security and Business Continuity
Qatar National Bank
+974 440 7253 (voice)
+974 441 6514 (fax)
+974 586 6508 (mobile)

* This e-Mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential *
* and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to *
* whom they are addressed. Please note that any view or opinions *
* presented in this e-Mail are solely those of the author and do *
* not necessarily represent those of Qatar National Bank. *
* The recipient should check this e-Mail and all attachments for *
* viruses. Qatar National Bank accepts no liability caused by *
* any virus/error transmitted via this e-Mail message. *