Re[2]: MTA Recommendations

From: Piotr Jarzıbek (pit@cezmar.com.pl)
Date: 09/10/02

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 04:46:32 +0200
From: Piotr Jarzıbek <pit@cezmar.com.pl>
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

Hello matthew,

Sunday, September 8, 2002, 6:25:53 AM, you wrote:

m> Setting up Sendmail, for more than 99% of the installs out there, is:
m> - download source.
m> - tar zxf source.
m> - cd into source dir.
m> - sh Build
m> - sh Build install
m> - cd cf/cf ; cp <osname>.mc sendmail.mc ; sh Build sendmail.cf
m> - cp sendmail.cf /etc/mail
m> - echo "domain.com" >> /etc/mail/local-domain-names
m> Really. It's hard to get any simpler than that. It annoys me when people
m> say that sendmail is hard to configure.

yeah, but don't foret what we try to mention is that with those
default settings sendmail is one of most vulnerable mailing system on
the net, anyone can for example send mail through such sys. advanced
configuration takes intermediate admin "couple" of hours ;-)

--
Best regards,
 Piotr                            mailto:pit@cezmar.com.pl

Relevant Pages

  • Re: postfix installed in base, mailwrapper spins using 100% CPU
    ... I installed a new server recently with postfix. ... WITH_SENDMAIL=no and removed the sendmail files using 'make delete-old'. ... Should it actually be the sendmail binary that postfix installs, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • postfix installed in base, mailwrapper spins using 100% CPU
    ... I installed a new server recently with postfix. ... WITH_SENDMAIL=no and removed the sendmail files using 'make delete-old'. ... Should it actually be the sendmail binary that postfix installs, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Sendmail Woes
    ... The sendmail cancer has been excised from my SOl10 system. ... Postfix when installed, installs its own sendmail binary to replase the real sendmail binary. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Sendmail
    ... I just installed OpenBSD 2.9 today on a test ... I was shocked to find Sendmail ... why is Sendmail a part of the default installs on ... > these *BSD flavors? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Getting Stock Sendmail to work
    ... I'm running fedora release 2, and I've been trying to get sendmail ... In fact, I compiled and installed sendmail 8.13.1, and then downgraded ... uninstalled it before attempting the stock installs). ...
    (Fedora)