Re: Need OSs for home lab

From: marcel@gtn.com
Date: 08/26/02

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:51:41 +0200
From: marcel@gtn.com
To: joemccray@hardestworkingmanonline.com, security-basics@securityfocus.com

--On Mittwoch, 21. August 2002 23:32 -0600 Joe McCray
<joemccray@hardestworkingmanonline.com> wrote:

> Hey guys I've been hacking my home lab quite a bit, but the bulk
> of it has been on my Red Hat 7.0 system. Ok...ok...stop laughing -
> I know it's easy to exploit - but I have to start somewhere.
> Anyways - I'm looking for places on the net where I can buy or
> download older versions of operation systems.
>
> Some old Red Hat, Suse, Slackware, BSDs I can mess with.

Debian GNU/Linux
http://www.debian.org/mirror/list
http://www.debian.org/mirror/list-non-US

Under "dists" you should find the various releases
3.0 (`woody'), 2.2 (`potato'), 2.1 (`slink'), 2.0 (`hamm')
and the upcoming "Sarge"

For the more rescent versions you can get ISO images:
http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/
(jigdo is a pretty helpful tool to build the ISO images
"on the fly" after downloading the latest packages)

Debian is available for Alpha, ARM, HP PA-RISC, Intel x86,
Intel IA-64, Motorola 680x0, MIPS (DEC), PowerPC, IBM S/390,
SPARC.
If you're not familiar with their package management have
a quick look at
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.html
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.html

Cheers,
Marcel

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Red Hat Linux SOHO router setup
    ... "gentle" kill. ... Thanks for the suggestion to download the cd images from the redhet ... accidentally stumbled onto distrowatch with the link to the iso images ... but I wonder how the ISP differentiates me ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Fedora Core 2 or White Box Enterprise Linux?
    ... > posted for free download etc). ... From what I can see the RH Pro Workstation ... > Box respin 1 iso images, so I might give eac a go on consecutive weekends ... install, it wants to do a fresh install, which doesn't help me much as I ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • RE: Do I need to convert ISO image to Bootable CD??
    ... > I have already downloaded the ISO images, but i wasnt able to boot ... You may need to download the files again to get a clean ... The disk you burned is bad. ... The machine you are trying to boot from CD has a CD drive that has ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: slackware-10.0-install-d*.torrent
    ... > Matthew Arroyo wrote: ... > use a bittorrent client to download the iso images. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: FC3 mediacheck
    ... Download iso images w/wget (for example: ... > I downloaded the ISO images to this PC using Opera. ... > Somebody else on my local LUG has CDs which pass the media check, ... > Nero to burn them, ...
    (Fedora)