Is there a question about the security of software developed in t he US?

From: Jim Grossl (jgrossl@lplearningcenter.org)
Date: 08/19/02

From: Jim Grossl <jgrossl@lplearningcenter.org>
To: "'security-basics@securityfocus.com'" <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:47:18 -0600

I was just on OpenSSH's web site and noticed that
in the 6th paragraph on the main page it mentions
that the software is developed outside the USA. I'm
curious as to why this would appear to be a
selling point. Is there concern outside the
US about the security of software developed
in the United States? I was thinking about the
fact that I've heard the NSA has approached
certain software developers about putting
backdoors/master keys in their products.

It does seem that the OpenSSH people are using
this fact as a reliability selling point. Of
course as is frequently the case I may be wrong.

Jim Grossl

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Where are web app references stored?
    ... I'm using TFS, and it doesn't have that problem, even with many developers working on the projects at the same time. ... The issue that David Thielen raises of having to check in the bin folder is not an issue with any kind of project - but it _is_ an issue with a web site, which is, again, just a collection of files. ... Maybe it's just a question of which source control system you were using. ... This makes it possible for a CI solution to only build the code that needs to be built, and to run the unit tests, possibly even after deploying the web application to a test server. ...
  • Re: OT : Page size change?
    ... Also have Netscape & IE - IE is the worst, most likely to lock-up, not work ... checking my web site appears correctly if someone is using IE, ... I'm not a MAC user, but since I develop web sites, I have a friend who ... have become more open for developers. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.needlework)
  • Re: software with little knowledge of website design
    ... Learn HTML and CSS. ... developers I know are well aware of the errors in and comparable ... I agree that Valid markup is a sign of a good web site, ... knowing how to do it right does not magically make the free time ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)
  • Re: Why is not possible to copy a web site to a folder below wwwroot
    ... Microsoft put the "Web Site" in and took the predecessor "Web ... This caused quite an uproar for those developers ... two types available on the web, but the biggest problem I see is that most ... ASP .NET documentation assumes the "Web Site" model and not the WAP model ...
  • Re: Where are project files?
    ... Also, even when that compile happens, each page is ... There was immediate "grumbling" from VS 2003 developers, ... since each page is effectively its own island in a web site (no more ... The code is not within the aspx pages. ...