RE: Practise setup

From: Steve Vawter (
Date: 08/16/02

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:51:04 -0700
From: Steve Vawter <>
To: Simon Taplin <>

Just remember rule #1, do not make the practice host(s) available
outside the class network! The world doesn't need any more easy to hack
systems ready for crackers to borrow as jump sites.

My suggestions:
Red Hat Linux, out of the box
Solaris 8 (if you can get x86 or a SPARC), out of the box plus apache
Win2k, out of the box with IIS live
NT4, out of the box plus IIS live
A Cisco router (check or running v11

Turn on all of the "extra" services that you can. Check out and be sure to do everything that they say
not to. It shouldn't take long.