RE: Practise setup

From: Steve Vawter (svawter@sigma.net)
Date: 08/16/02

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:51:04 -0700
From: Steve Vawter <svawter@sigma.net>
To: Simon Taplin <simon@pop.co.za>

Just remember rule #1, do not make the practice host(s) available
outside the class network! The world doesn't need any more easy to hack
systems ready for crackers to borrow as jump sites.

My suggestions:
Red Hat Linux, out of the box
Solaris 8 (if you can get x86 or a SPARC), out of the box plus apache
<1.3.26
Win2k, out of the box with IIS live
NT4, out of the box plus IIS live
A Cisco router (check ebay.com or usedrouter.com) running v11

Turn on all of the "extra" services that you can. Check out
http://www.cisecurity.org/ and be sure to do everything that they say
not to. It shouldn't take long.