Re: The way to hack ?

From: brian_carpio@csgsystems.com
Date: 08/11/02

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:30:35 -0600 (MDT)
From: brian_carpio@csgsystems.com
To: Sebastien Desse <sdesse@euresys.fr>

You are completely wrong...

1) AIM, ICQ both have been vulnerable to buffer over flow attacks which
allow "hackers" to take over a work station

2) P2P software could allow for potential network take over

3) E-Mail viruses, trojans etc.. could lead to network take over

4) IRC could also lead to network take over..

There are many many more examples, you are never completely save, never
ever if your computer is connected to the internet you are not save... NAT
is not the be all end all firewall..

--------------
Brian Carpio
CSG Systems Inc.
Open Systems Unix System Admin

x3317
--------------

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Sebastien Desse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to hack from Internet a network with an RCF1918 adressing
> scheme like this :
>
> Internet -- Pub@Router -- LAN 192.168.1.0/24
>
> if the router does NAT and forbid source routing ? ==> even if there is no
> filtering rule <==
>
> (To me it seems to be difficult but I'm maybe wrong...)
>

> Am I completely safe (i.e nobody can penetrate my lan) if my firewall (that
> is not buggy) forbid any incomming connection an allow only outgoing HTTP
> connections ?
>
> (I think the answer is no, but maybe exeprimeted hackers think that I'm
> missing something).
>
> Best Rgds,
>
> Sebastien Desse

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Advice about XP and Internet security
    ... Hackers are making persistent, methodical efforts to probe every IP address ... You will need to make sure you have all the current MSFT security patches ... box for each of your connection points to the public network. ... addition of XP adds new security holes (as in network Plug and Play). ...
  • RE: Problems with Permissions
    ... And SBS server is only take ... the role of an internal server. ... they are all configured to connected to internal network. ... g. Run the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard on SBS server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... Funny thing is that I have had this ISP for 8 years and it has always been ... It looks like when you last ran CEICW, you set the ISP's mail server to: ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: HACKERS SECRET WEAPONS
    ... This includes, without limitation, the use of another Internet ... > A. Hackers disable your Daylight Savings Time. ... Your Network Places Icon on the desktop disappears. ... > W. Installing a hardware/software firewall for the first time can cause ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: server disconnection - very often
    ... Often get the redirected folders working offline prompt on some client ... VMware virtual network interface cause network issue. ... On the Connection Type page, click Broadband, and then click Next. ... |> re-initialize the offline files cache and database on client computers: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)