RE: NT/2000 vs Unix based Web Servers

From: Hornat, Charles (Charles_Hornat@standardandpoors.com)
Date: 07/15/02

From: "Hornat, Charles" <Charles_Hornat@standardandpoors.com>
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:31:20 -0400

I really hate these religious debates over who is more secure, so I did a little study to see which is worse out of the box as well as with the latest security/cluster patches. www.securitywriters.org "OS Scan".

Its a no win argument because both can be hardened and both are weak out of the box. Neither Unix vendors nor Microsoft thing security first when designing a new OS, primarily the focus is usability.

Charles

The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you,
Standard & Poor's