Re: MD5'ing a directory tree in Linux?

From: Adam Senger (asenger@mygeotivity.com)
Date: 06/27/02

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:35:53 -0700
From: Adam Senger <asenger@mygeotivity.com>
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

Try something like

find /home/user/basedir/ -type f -exec md5sum '{}' \;

"Mark G. Spencer" wrote:

> Is it possible to MD5 all the items in a directory tree using Linux? I
> am on a Redhat 7.3 workstation. I have read the man and info file for
> MD5SUM and also tried to run it against a directory without success. I
> get the error "Is a directory" which is very self explanatory.
>
> So .. Is there another MD5 utility with more flexibility? I basically
> need to MD5 every file individually in a large directory tree with the
> output redirected to a text file showing the path, filename, and hash of
> every file in that directory tree.
>
> Thanks for the assistance,
>
> Mark

Relevant Pages

  • RE: MD5ing a directory tree in Linux?
    ... MD5'ing a directory tree in Linux? ... Is it possible to MD5 all the items in a directory tree using Linux? ... MD5SUM and also tried to run it against a directory without success. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: MD5ing a directory tree in Linux?
    ... Spencer wrote: ... > Is it possible to MD5 all the items in a directory tree using Linux? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • FW: MD5ing a directory tree in Linux?
    ... > I think the normal integrity programs like Tripwire or Aide ... > Is it possible to MD5 all the items in a directory tree using Linux? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: MD5ing a directory tree in Linux?
    ... Steve. ... MD5'ing a directory tree in Linux? ... Is there another MD5 utility with more flexibility? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: MD5ing a directory tree in Linux?
    ... MD5'ing a directory tree in Linux? ... > MD5SUM and also tried to run it against a directory without success. ... Is there another MD5 utility with more flexibility? ...
    (Security-Basics)