RE: bandwidth monitor

From: Hunt, Jim (
Date: 05/23/02

From: "Hunt, Jim" <>
To: 'Jesse Morgan' <>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:12:39 -0500

The first thing you can do is graph the traffic on the Cisco Router. All
you need are the SNMP community (read) string and a great free product
called MRTG. ( In fact, you can set up MRTG (with
Perl) in just a few minutes by looking at my website called "MRTG for
Dummies." (

Over time, using MRTG will give you a true idea of the (incoming and
outdoing) bandwidth.

If you have a switch with SNMP that everyone connects, you can run MRTG on
it too and get an idea port by port who is doing what. The bad news is MRTG
will not distinguish between Internet traffic and local traffic. But it
give you some clues to follow.

The other option is to use a network sniffer and filter out traffic.
Sniffer Pro is very good and you can get a full 30 day version to try. Good

Jim Hunt
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
Northwestern School Corporation