Re: badnwidth monitor

From: Larry Mitchell (larrym@cpointcc.com)
Date: 05/23/02

From: "Larry Mitchell" <larrym@cpointcc.com>
To: "Jesse Morgan" <jmorgan@design-plus.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:48:51 -0500

Jesse,

First thing i suggest is to keep in mind that a fractional T1 can go all the
way down to 128K which is the UPLOAD speed of your DSL. Just becaust the
line is a fractional does not mean there is much bandwidth. In fact we have
several 56K fractionals. This puts you at just over normal dialup speeds.
First things first would be too determine exactly what speed line you have.

Next suggestion would be not to give away too much information as to where
you are located and to your line and hardware. Remeber that not everyone
that reads this list has good intentions. Don't leave yourself open to
attack while trying to get help.

If you need help determining the speed of the line feel free to contact me
privately or post to the board.

Third suggestion would be to run aasoftware such as MRTG or Multi Router
Traffic Grapher. We use this here and i think you would benefit from it
very much. It shows visually the amaount of traffic each router serial and
ethernet port is using. both in and out. There are versions for just about
anything and it requires no intrusive operation to implement. You would run
it on a workstation or server and there are versions for just about every
major OS.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Sincerely,
Larry Mitchell