FW: badnwidth monitor

From: Jesse Morgan (jmorgan@design-plus.com)
Date: 05/22/02

From: Jesse Morgan <jmorgan@design-plus.com>
To: "'security-basics@securityfocus.com'" <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:10:19 -0400

 Hi, this is my first post to this list, so go easy on me.

 I've just started working as an IT intern at an architecture firm with
around 80 people. We supposedly have a fractional T1 connection of some
type, but frankly, my DSL connection at home is more responsive. I know for
a fact that most people here don't use the connection(about 10 ppl total
actually do).
 I want to find out where the bandwidth is going. I figure I could set up a
proxy, but that would take alot of effort getting the Idea through the
Admin(*grumble*)...(there's currently NO security here, but I'm trying to
change that.)
 I know that we have a Cisco router of some sort, but I haven't really
gotten a feel for the equipment yet. is there a passive way for me to
figure out who's hogging the bandwidth? For all I know, someone could have
found a securiy hole and they're hosting an warez site off of us :/
***Anything*** is possible here.

 thanks,
 - Jesse the Intern

Relevant Pages

  • RE: badnwidth monitor
    ... type, but frankly, my DSL connection at home is more responsive. ... I want to find out where the bandwidth is going. ... securiy hole and they're hosting an warez site off of us:/ ... - Jesse the Intern ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: FW: badnwidth monitor
    ... > type, but frankly, my DSL connection at home is more responsive. ... > I want to find out where the bandwidth is going. ... > found a securiy hole and they're hosting an warez site off of us:/ ... > - Jesse the Intern ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: FW: badnwidth monitor
    ... Depending on your gateway IOS version, do activate Cisco NetFlow ... type, but frankly, my DSL connection at home is more responsive. ... I want to find out where the bandwidth is going. ... found a securiy hole and they're hosting an warez site off of us:/ ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: FW: badnwidth monitor
    ... There are many chances for your bandwidth hogging, ... Else you can put a bandwidth managing rule on the router. ... >type, but frankly, my DSL connection at home is more ... > - Jesse the Intern ...
    (Security-Basics)