Trojan Programs from web site link in newsletter

From: David Lane (
Date: 05/21/02

From: "David Lane" <>
To: <>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:35:53 -0700

Hello, In a newsletter I received from Security Wire Digest on May 20, 2002
they have a link to a web site that when clicked attempts to download two
Trojan programs, which were blocked on my machine by McAfee software which I
have set to scan all download files. I sent a notice back to Security Wire,
below, but have not received a response and I just clicked on the link again
and it is still trying to download the Trojans. I just wanted to make
others aware of this problem and also to ask if anyone else had problems
with this organization. I am ready to unsubscribe to this newsletter unless
I get a response from them. Do not click on the link unless you have your
virus software set to scan all files that are downloaded.

Message to Security Wire:

subject:RE: SECURITY WIRE DIGEST, VOL. 4, NO. 39, MAY 20, 2002

Security Wire personnel:

Please note when I clicked on the link in your newsletter,
"" the web site attempted to download
two Trojan programs to my computer. The files were identified by McAfee as
MIA2B4ff and MV8R26CG. Both were listed a variants or JS/Espolint-LocalCSS.
I repeated this process twice with the same results.

David Lane
University of California Santa Cruz
Internal Audit and advisory services

Relevant Pages