RE: Secure Infrastructure

From: Nelson, Jeffrey (Jeffrey.Nelson@nationalcity.com)
Date: 05/21/02

From: "Nelson, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Nelson@nationalcity.com>
To: 'Dan Williamson' <dan.williamson@courts.state.pa.us>, security-basics@securityfocus.com
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:47:01 -0400

Hello Dan,

The architecture you set up will depend on the sensitivity of the data, the
risk value involved and the money your company has to spend, as I am sure
you already know.

The need for a firewall is not negated by the need for a two-way connection.
I have experience with PIX so my example will be based on this. You can
specify a conduit through the firewall from one and only one address on the
outside to one and only one address on the inside. This will ensure that
only data from the web server gets to the SQL server. Likewise, with a
conduit going out you can specify that data from the SQL server goes only to
the web server.

The most secure architecture could go something like this. A firewall for
each protocol coming into the DMZ. User authentication into the DMZ via a
SOCKS proxy by which you can also determine permitted destinations. Traffic
destined for the web server is proxied by application. All traffic to and
from the web server is 128-bit SSL. Authentication at the web server is
verified at the SQL server. No login/password or any other type of data on
the web server. Or, better yet, initial authentication to the web server
could be verified against something like active directory or ACF2 and a
secondary authentication to the SQL server. Ensure no cached information
exists, clicking the 'back' button gets the user nowhere. Queries from the
web server to the SQL server are encrypted and go through another firewall
and, again, proxied by application on the inside of this firewall. Also, set
up a timeout value so that each session expires after inactivity. NAT
traffic from the core-DMZ firewall and then NAT the traffic from the
DMZ-Internet firewall. Set up an IDS for the web server.

...or something like that...

Cheers,

Jeff