Sysadmins and Security Patches

From: Stephen Zeigler (SZeigle@smud.org)
Date: 05/17/02

From: Stephen Zeigler <SZeigle@smud.org>
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:09:04 -0700

Hi all,
I would like to get a feel for how other shops handle this issue. I am a
security admin responsible for keeping about 140 servers, Unix and NT, up to
date with security patches and hotfixes. This isn't my only responsibility
and I'd like to get the sys admins more involved in keeping their servers
patched. I love my job - but more stuff keeps landing on my plate. How is
this best handled? Is it reasonable to expect sysadmins to install security
patches? Thx

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)
    ... But you'd still patch either way, ... of home users who don't even know what a security patch *IS*, ... But how many organisations firewall off internal servers from ... administrators have the time to watch the IDS given the number of patches they ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Unix runs faster, maybe (was: Re: Educating potential VMS users)
    ... Unix may run faster, but without the reliability, so "comparable" ... but VMS is ... work is all of the security patches. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: The Common System Interface: Intels Future Interconnect
    ... OS specific backups, data archiving, security auditing etc. ... applications on special purpose servers that *should* be kept ... but you don't need VMware to do that for just run Windows apps. ... Wintel/Linux servers that need security patches every month. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • RE: Thoughts on the book: DEC is dead, long live DEC
    ... Security patches? ... idea of all the services that the App's on their servers actually call. ... the IE security issues are relevant. ... If you're saying that all Windows systems have the same problems ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Can extra processing threads help in this case?
    ... computers installed in the White House. ... after the installation, hordes of NSA-types descended on the White House to track down the ... This is yet a different form of physical security: the early "smart cards" had encryption ... Bandwidth for connected servers, the path of the data, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)