RE: User Log off

From: Holger Schaal (schaal@uni-mainz.de)
Date: 05/15/02

Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:43:46 +0200
From: "Holger Schaal" <schaal@uni-mainz.de>
To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>

Hi Tim,

there is a screensaver in the windows 2000 resource kit, called winexit
- with this "screensaver" users are automatically logged off after a
certain amount of time of inactivity. The configuration settings are
stored in the HKCU part of the registry - and can be set with group
policies.

Greetings

Holger

--
schaal@Uni-Mainz.DE            |  Johannes Gutenberg-Universitaet Mainz
System Administration Windows  |         Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung

> -----Original Message----- > From: Tim V(@DZ) [mailto:iceburn@dangerzone.com] > Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 6:20 PM > To: security-basics@security-focus.com > Subject: User Log off > > > Does anyone know of group policies, software, configurations that will > automatically log a user off after a specific amount of time? > > Basically, people staying logged in is bad for a whole slew of privacy > and security reasons (as you all know). My users seem to have trouble > understanding this. I know I can set a Windows 2000 Group Policy for > "logout automatically" and "time to terminate session" or > something like > that, but I'm pretty sure that only applies to terminal services > clients. I searched the web for a while and came up with 12Ghosts > Shutdown which is a small app that "overloads" the shutdown of Windows > and among other things has a inactivity timer. However, in testing, > having picky programs (like Outlook 2002) open will > effectively not let > 12Ghosts log the user out. > > Has anyone else solved this issue with some sort of technology, I'm > wearing thin on user eduacation right now... > > > -tim > > PS I suppose I should let everyone know that the network is completely > Windows 2000. > >

Relevant Pages

  • Re: This Steampunk thing.....
    ... Thank you for confirming that. ... Just another spot of dishonesty, ... especially in the winter when windows are all tightly ... Second, it's not the same amount of mercury, since only a small ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Winforms and SQL Threading Problem
    ... I have a big issue with threading in Windows Forms. ... I make this Form1 as MdiContainer. ... When I reduce the amount of data to just some rows, ... Dependencies between your worker thread and the GUI thread, such as a need to update the UI based on things that happen in the worker thread. ...
  • Re: Dell 8400 windows XP sp 2 (Ram)
    ... No. Defragging has nothing to do with the amount Windows can see. ... That's because some of that space is used by hardware and is not ... RAM itself. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: RAM values not matching
    ... BIOS correctly identifies the amount. ... >Microsoft's RAM test utility only shows 312megs. ... >Windows system monitor also shows 312megs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)