RE: Slackware or Redhat?

From: Leon Ward (leon.ward@added-dimension.co.uk)
Date: 05/14/02

From: Leon Ward <leon.ward@added-dimension.co.uk>
To: 'Thomas Madhavan' <tmadhavan@ntlworld.com>, security-basics@securityfocus.com
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 09:34:21 +0100

Thomas,
        Before this thread will probably get thrashed to death and flame
wars begin (they always do when to comes to distribution wars).
There are a great many different offerings in the world of free *nix based
operating systems, it is time for you to do some research and decide on one
that fits your situation best.

Is Slackware more secure 'out of the box'?
        Never trust anything "out of the box" always take some time to check
everything is nice and tight.
        Make sure you check for security updates!

From what I gather Slackware is a little harder to learn than Redhat,
        Anything that is new to you will take some getting used to, take
your time read the docs.

What advantages/disadvantages does Slackware 8.0 have over Redhat 7.0?
        I am going to ignore this one, this is what insights flame wars.

Here are a few starting points that you may not have thought of.

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/ : This is the NSA created "Security-Enhanced
Linux", I have not tried it myself yet but plan to take a "butchers" in the
future

http://www.openbsd.org/ : BSD Based UNIX-like os, very well made and
impressively secure out of the box.

And some links to Linux distributions.

http://www.debian.org
http://www.trustix.net/
http://www.calderasystems.com/ : IMHO more for the desktop than the server
http://www.suse.com/

http://www.linuxiso.org : and a nice place to download the iso's from.

There are many more out there, but these are distros I have had pleasant
experiences with in the past.

Why not try them all?

Nard